Dr. King
04-05-2018, 07:30 PM
RE: Dr. King
I am in broad agreement with you, Laurie. The danger with civil unrest is its uncontrolled nature. It is too easy for demagogues and fanatics to gain the upper hand and manipulate the actions of the gullible. Germany in the 1920s and 1930s for example.

There is obviously an argument to be made that an immoral regime sometimes gains power and uses that power to crush opponents. The only option must be to use reasonable force to counter that power (without harming the innocent). 1776 was an example. Its debatable but I think the so called "Troubles" in Northern Ireland was another example ... civil unrest was OK, but the bombing violence was an example of what is unacceptable.

In between these extremes are instances where the elected government of the day is refusing to take action which seems to be essential for the good of most of the community. I believe that a civilized society consists of concerned citizens who campaign peacefully and express their arguments without violence.

I am concerned though with the way social media and the Press and Tv and radio seem to seek to manipulate opinions by twisting people's speeches and taking comments out of context and photo-shopping images. I do think that many young people are easily sucked in and manipulated and quick to believe whatever seems 'compassionate' and Green.

Maybe schools should be encouraging more critical and analytical thinking, identifying assumptions, fallacies, and straw man arguments. Sometimes being a cynic is the best way to go.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Dr. King - L Verge - 04-04-2018, 04:44 PM
RE: Dr. King - Rsmyth - 04-05-2018, 08:17 AM
RE: Dr. King - L Verge - 04-05-2018, 02:31 PM
RE: Dr. King - AussieMick - 04-05-2018 07:30 PM
RE: Dr. King - LincolnMan - 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM