Abraham Lincoln Religion in Politics
03-19-2018, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 02:01 PM by Ed Steers.)
RE: Abraham Lincoln Religion in Politics
(03-17-2018 12:44 PM)Amalia Wrote:  Hey Lincolnians,

I come to you for insight. I am currently working on a project about our dear Lincoln. I am trying to write something about his religious beliefs in the public sphere. I have already mentioned in a previous project all his philosophical and private thoughts on the matter. But now I really wanna focus all my attention on his religious thoughts in the scope of his political career including his presidency of course.
What I wish to be able to point out is how well (or ill, depending on the results of the research and the point of view) he dealt with religious radicals among his cabinet members or campaign opponents. For instance, I was thinking about investigating into the Coinage Act of 1864 where Salmon P. Chase made HIS first big move as Secretary of Treasury.

I hope I have been clear enough. I wish you guys could help me elaborate a sort of plan or scheme for all this. It would be very interesting and helpful to hear all your thoughts about it.

Concerning Lincoln’s religious belief, be careful where you tread. Folks have been trying for 150 years to “Christianize” Lincoln with midnight baptisms and “born again” conversions. Read Herndon, Lamon, and Mary Lincoln to get a feel for Lincoln’s beliefs. I wrote an extensive article for the Lincoln Herald titled “Was Mistah Abe Babsized?” vol. 101, no 4 (Winter 1999). It should be available online through the Lincoln Herald. When asked, Lincoln said: “When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion.” That should satisfy most folks – but not all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abraham Lincoln Religion in Politics - Ed Steers - 03-19-2018 02:01 PM