Dr. Mudd's slave who cooked breakfast for JWB and David Herold
09-16-2018, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2018 07:20 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Dr. Mudd's slave who cooked breakfast for JWB and David Herold
(09-16-2018 06:56 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thanks, Laurie - same here, we say “Eat breakfast like an emperor, lunch like a king, and dinner like a beggar.”
Yet the Emperor eats a cold breakfast (the daily bread...)
What is brains and eggs?

In earlier times, pigs and hogs were very plentiful, especially in the South, and every part of a slaughtered swine was put to some kind of use. In addition to the hams, bacon, chops, roasts, etc., scraps were used for sausage, either stuffed into the cleaned intestines to form links or mixed with seasonings for patties. There was also something called head cheese. Pigs' feet were pickled; even the bladder was saved to use as caps for canning jars (or as balloons to please the children). Leftover intestines were usually given to the slaves and became chitterlings.

As for brains and eggs -- the brains of the pig often took the place of bacon or sausage on the morning menu. Nothing went to waste.

P.S. In addition to making me nauseous over the thought of eating anything's brains, my mother used to achieve the same feeling in me when she talked about enjoying tongue sandwiches as a child (as in the tongue of a cow...).

PPS: Eva - I mentioned "head cheese" above. It is not really cheese. Here is a description of a German variety: In Germany, head cheese is known as Sülze, Schwartenmagen, or Presskopf. In Bavaria, Presssack comes in three varieties (deep red, pinkish, and grey) in the form of a large (15-cm-diameter) sausage. Sülze can have a tangy flavour due to the addition of pickles or vinegar. It usually takes the form of a rectangular loaf, which is then sliced into portions. There is a white coloured variety and two different red ones, using blood, one made with beef tongue (as in Zungenwurst) and aspic, the other without. In Franconia, Saurer Presssack is served in a salad with a vinaigrette and vegetables. German Schwartenmagen in a tin as it is sold as a type of hausmacher-Wurst
Early references to Sulcze in documents of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen date from 1410 and 1430.[13]
Using only pure and best meat (without fat, gristle or other meat of less good quality) it is called Kaisersülze (Emperor's Aspic).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dr. Mudd's slave who cooked breakfast for JWB and David Herold - L Verge - 09-16-2018 07:13 PM