A surprising influence on Obama’s portrait: Abraham Lincoln
02-15-2018, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 01:24 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: A surprising influence on Obama’s portrait: Abraham Lincoln
(02-15-2018 06:16 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, here are the two images you asked for:

[Image: obamapelosilunch.jpg]

[Image: peacemakers.jpg]

Thanks, Roger. I very much appreciate it.

I believe that Sherman was right about the painting: "I thought that he [Healy] caught the idea from what I told him had occurred when saying that 'if Lee would only remain in Richmond till I could reach Burkesville, we would have him between our thumb and fingers,' suiting the action to the word."

The American Civil War ended with the fighting men on both sides displaying great respect for one another. Think how the war could have ended.

Here is General Lee's "Farewell Address" to his army:

General Orders, No. 9, Headquarters Army of Northern Virginia, April 10, 1865.

"After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them. But, feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that may have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifices of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen. By the terms of the agreement officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you his blessing and protection. With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration for myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell."

R. E. Lee, General

Source: (War Records, Vol. XLVI, Part 3, page 744 in Men and Things I Saw in Civil War Days,by General James F. Rusling (1899), pp. 386-87.

Here is Grant's general "pass" to Lee, after his surrender; and he took good care it was respected, even by President Johnson.

Appomattox Court House, Va., April 10, 1865.

"All officers commanding posts, pickets or detachments will pass General R. E. Lee through their lines north or south on presentation of this pass. General Lee will be permitted to visit Richmond at any time, unless otherwise ordered by competent authority, and every facility for his doing so will be given by officers of the United States Army to whom this may be presented."

-- U. S. Grant, Lieutenant General

Source: (War Records, Vol. XLVI, Part 3, page 686 in Men and Things I Saw in Civil War Days,by General James F. Rusling (1899), p. 387.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A surprising influence on Obama’s portrait: Abraham Lincoln - David Lockmiller - 02-15-2018 10:15 AM