A surprising influence on Obama’s portrait: Abraham Lincoln
02-14-2018, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 06:52 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: A surprising influence on Obama’s portrait: Abraham Lincoln
"Ever since Gilbert Stuart’s 1805 portrait of Thomas Jefferson, the seated presidential portrait has been a way to deliberately cultivate an air of “chaste republican character.” The seated president is intended to project the Commander-in-Chief as Man-of-the-People, as opposed to the more regal style of standing portrait that immortalized George Washington."

Like Laurie I don't see a special resemblance to the Lincoln painting. Even less than to other seated Presidents that look at the observer and rest both hands on the legs rather than resting the chin on them:

(Why does the hedge overgrow him? That at least reminds me of a Lincoln quote - "I claim not to have controlled events, but confess plainly that events have controlled me." The hedge seems to do. Not sure if that is what the artist wanted to express but that is what I'd perceive.)

PS: Yet Mr. Bush's and Mr. Obama's arm positions speak a very different body language.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A surprising influence on Obama’s portrait: Abraham Lincoln - Eva Elisabeth - 02-14-2018 06:48 AM