Richard Reynolds Montgomery-Spy Extroidinary
01-05-2018, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 05:02 PM by SSlater.)
Richard Reynolds Montgomery-Spy Extroidinary
I have found that hunting up the life of a Spy can be a fascinating pass time. My latest interest is a man named Richard Reynolds Montgomery.
This guy came to my attention when I reviewed the account of the prosecution of the Lincoln Conspirators. He was called upon by the Federal Government to prove that the Confederate Government was absolutely involved in the assassination plot. How could he do that?
In his testimony, given in secret, he revealed that he was a spy for the Confederate Government and had made frequent trips to Canada carrying secret instructions. He also revealed that whenever he made a trip, he stopped off in Washington to allow them to read all he was carrying. If the Federal Government knew the inner most secrets of the Rebs - why did they allow the plan to proceed? I think they were actively protecting Lincoln when they captured Thomas Harney, as he was proceeding ti Washington. (Thant's a story for another time.) I am interested in this guy Montgomery.
Richard Montgomery was born in Mew York City in 1839. He grew up in a huge family - more than 15 total. He married Emily E. Wallace in 1859 and started his own family. Two girls (twins) and a boy. (The girls were Florence and Florance.)
At some point, not clearly defined, he attempted to join the Army -as a Major, this failed (I think his father, a Broker< tried to buy a Commission) This led to his enlistment in the Army for "General Service", for 5 years, as a Sargent. However, in less than 2 months, he was ALLOWED to resign, in order to accept an opportunity to accept a "Class I Position". I assume that this is where he became a Spy. (His compensation was $1200. That is significant when you learn that Stanton (Sec. of War) was getting $8000 per annum.)
Montgomery had grey eyes, dark hair, ruddy complexion, an was 5'-8 1/2". He was assigned to the Adjutant General's Office.
The Adjutant General is the top man in the Army. EVERYONE WORKS FOR HIM. (George Washington, and Adjutant General got $162/ Mo.)
Montgomery is shown in the City Directory as "Rooming at 734 New York Ave, between 1863 and 1865. Then he is shown as "Major" after the war (while he "cooperated" during the Conspirator trial.
I'm out of space - but I continue to search. I'll add more if allowed.

(01-05-2018 04:48 PM)SSlater Wrote:  I have found that hunting up the life of a Spy can be a fascinating pass time. My latest interest is a man named Richard Reynolds Montgomery.
This guy came to my attention when I reviewed the account of the prosecution of the Lincoln Conspirators. He was called upon by the Federal Government to prove that the Confederate Government was absolutely involved in the assassination plot. How could he do that?
In his testimony, given in secret, he revealed that he was a spy for the Confederate Government and had made frequent trips to Canada carrying secret instructions. He also revealed that whenever he made a trip, he stopped off in Washington to allow them to read all he was carrying. If the Federal Government knew the inner most secrets of the Rebs - why did they allow the plan to proceed? I think they were actively protecting Lincoln when they captured Thomas Harney, as he was proceeding ti Washington. (Thant's a story for another time.) I am interested in this guy Montgomery.
Richard Montgomery was born in Mew York City in 1839. He grew up in a huge family - more than 15 total. He married Emily E. Wallace in 1859 and started his own family. Two girls (twins) and a boy. (The girls were Florence and Florance.)
At some point, not clearly defined, he attempted to join the Army -as a Major, this failed (I think his father, a Broker< tried to buy a Commission) This led to his enlistment in the Army for "General Service", for 5 years, as a Sargent. However, in less than 2 months, he was ALLOWED to resign, in order to accept an opportunity to accept a "Class I Position". I assume that this is where he became a Spy. (His compensation was $1200. That is significant when you learn that Stanton (Sec. of War) was getting $8000 per annum.)
Montgomery had grey eyes, dark hair, ruddy complexion, an was 5'-8 1/2". He was assigned to the Adjutant General's Office.
The Adjutant General is the top man in the Army. EVERYONE WORKS FOR HIM. (George Washington, and Adjutant General got $162/ Mo.)
Montgomery is shown in the City Directory as "Rooming at 734 New York Ave, between 1863 and 1865. Then he is shown as "Major" after the war (while he "cooperated" during the Conspirator trial.
I'm out of space - but I continue to search. I'll add more if allowed.
I need to add: None of this info shows up in "Family Trees".. I doubt that they know anything about guy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Richard Reynolds Montgomery-Spy Extroidinary - SSlater - 01-05-2018 04:48 PM