What's Your Favorite Collection of Lincoln's Writings?
12-04-2017, 10:19 AM
What's Your Favorite Collection of Lincoln's Writings?
Hello. I'm wondering what variety of books the board uses for Lincoln's writings.

I have the two-volume Library of America edition: Speeches and Writings 1832-1858 and 1859-1865.

Those books, like all of the Library of America books, are beautifully bound and printed. And hardly a better editor could have been chosen to select and annotate the items than Don Fehrenbacher. But the presentation is strictly chronological, which presents the reader with, say, a brief letter followed by a long speech, followed by more brief pieces, then another long speech, etc. The reader new to Lincoln's writings might find a strictly chronological presentation somewhat daunting.

Would you mind sharing what you like (or dislike) about your go-to edition?

I am asking about this because I'm thinking of putting together a collection myself, so I must consider whether the effort would be worthwhile.

Thanks.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What's Your Favorite Collection of Lincoln's Writings? - ELCore - 12-04-2017 10:19 AM