Echoes From Hospital and White House
12-04-2017, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 11:09 AM by JMadonna.)
RE: Echoes From Hospital and White House
Southern Matrons administered the wards. They were generally volunteers and had no specific organization like the Northern volunteers did under Dorothea Dix. Most were from prominent families with high political connections who left comfortable homes to live in relatively primitive conditions They also faced public disapproval, Since proper ladies were not considered suitable for such work. One matron noted, “There is scarcely a day{that} passes that I do not hear a derogatory remark about the ladies who are in the hospitals, until I think, if there is any credit due them at all,it is the moral courage they have on braving public opinion.”

Although assisting the surgeons in their bloody procedures was not among their official responsibilities, at times it became a routine duty.

One day a young nurse found herself holding shut a soldier’s artery while a doctor tried to find the break to sew it. Frustrated that he couldn’t find the break he announced he could do nothing and walked away for another patient. The wounded man looked up at the nurse and asked “am I going to die?” She replied not as long as I keep my fingers here. The soldier took a deep breath, closed his eyes and said “let it go”.

She didn’t and waited for another surgeon.

.... Always get a second opinion!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Echoes From Hospital and White House - JMadonna - 12-04-2017 11:09 AM