Lincoln ate at Delmonico’s Restaurant in New York City
10-26-2017, 05:12 PM
RE: Lincoln ate at Delmonico’s Restaurant in New York City
(10-26-2017 11:51 AM)Steve Wrote:  I did a Google search for "insulted every sense but hearing", and the only result that popped up was this very article. So I'm guessing it was a remark made by one of the food historians interviewed by the reporter.

I did the same search, Steve, and came up with the same result as you. I continued searching and found this article:

http://www.americanheritage.com/content/...%E2%80%99s

"Abraham Lincoln, after dining there during the Civil War, called Lorenzo Delmonico to his table and told the restaurateur, “In Washington, where I live, there are many mansions, but no cooks like yours."

Maybe someone can find if this really happened. I wonder what the source is. As far as I know, Lincoln never ate in New York City during the Civil War. The only time he was there during the war (that I can think of) was when he went to West Point to visit General Scott; his train passed through New York City on this trip, but I do not think he stopped to eat at a restaurant. This was a quick trip: June 24-June 25, 1862. Maybe he did exit the train and eat; perhaps my aging memory is wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln ate at Delmonico’s Restaurant in New York City - RJNorton - 10-26-2017 05:12 PM