“Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize
12-12-2017, 08:19 PM
RE: “Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize
(12-12-2017 07:02 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 04:00 PM)kerry Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 03:37 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 02:35 PM)kerry Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 01:27 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  [quote='kerry' pid='67883' dateline='1509813168']
I thought the book was excellent. It's weird and not for everybody, but the overall message and its presentation were really impressive, in my opinion.

I read a newspaper interview with Rev. N. W. Miner's daughter, and it included a letter in which he visited the Lincolns in 1862 and was told to go look at Willie's body, and did so. So it seems possible Lincoln himself could have done so.

I also found this - On July 17, 1865, the National Baptist published correspondence from Springfield noting that Willie was embalmed “so handsomely that the President had it twice disinterred to look upon it.”

I attached it - it's from genealogybank.com

Thanks!

You're welcome - I'd forgot I'd posted this until you quoted it -- the most direct reference is the National Baptist One. On April 25, 1865, the Indianapolis Sentinel also reported Lincoln had the body disinterred twice to look up it. Unfortunately I can't figure out where I got the National Baptist reference - the way I wrote it, I probably looked at the actual issue, but now I can't find it.

It seems that the original quote was in the New York World, and the National Baptist copied it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=F6HB7q...t.&f=false

Thanks for finding that! The World always published interesting if often negative things - it's too bad most places don't have it in their archives like they do the Herald and Tribune.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: “Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize - kerry - 12-12-2017 08:19 PM