“Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize
10-18-2017, 07:01 AM
“Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize
George Saunders’s surreal, experimental first novel, “Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize on Tuesday, October 17, 2017.

The novel unfolds in a cemetery in 1862, where a grieving Abraham Lincoln visits the crypt that holds the body of his 11-year-old son, Willie, who died of typhoid fever. At the graveyard, Willie’s spirit is joined by a garrulous, motley community of ghosts who exist in the liminal state between life and death. At times, the narrative feels more like a play or an oral history than a novel, with dialogue among the ghosts, interspersed with scraps of historical research and snippets of contemporary news accounts that Mr. Saunders gathered, or in some cases invented.

This is quite a contrast with Elizabeth Keckley's vivid description of the moments when President Lincoln, the father, viewed his son's body and expressed his loss in words and actions.

I assisted in washing and dressing him, and then laid him on the bed when Mr. Lincoln came in. I never saw a man so bowed down with grief. He came to the bed, and lifting the cover from the face of his child, gazed at it long and earnestly, murmuring:

"My poor boy, he was too good for this earth. God has called him home. I know that he is better off in Heaven, but then we loved him so. It was hard--hard--to have him die!"

Great sobs choked his utterance. He bowed his head in his hands, and his tall frame was convulsed with emotion. I stood at the foot of the bed, my eyes full of tears, looking at the man in silent, awe-stricken wonder. His grief unnerved him, and made him a weak, passive child. I did not dream that his rugged nature could be so moved.

I do not think that I will bother reading any part of "Lincoln in the Bardo."

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
“Lincoln in the Bardo,” won the Man Booker Prize - David Lockmiller - 10-18-2017 07:01 AM