The True Mary Lincoln by Betty Ellison
09-14-2017, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 12:03 AM by Donna McCreary.)
RE: The True Mary Lincoln by Betty Ellison
(09-13-2017 07:15 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Wow!
Thanks Donna, I don't have Jean Baker's book, and I probably never will now.
I had thought it was "the book" on Mary Lincoln. It's coming off my wish list.

Like Eva, I have W A Evans book and enjoyed it.

I also enjoy the W.A. Evans book. As I am trying to finish up my current project, the Evans book is sitting close at hand.

I will say one kind thing about the Baker book ---- there are many tidbits of information about normal Victorian life. Baker does know about women's history, and the information is good. Sadly, her purpose was to write about Mary as if she were a "normal" housewife. No First Lady is ever a "normal" housewife. (just my opinion)

(09-14-2017 08:13 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Not a bio but a very informative and well researched book (I l'd think, Donna may know better) is "The Mary Lincoln Enigma".

The Mary Lincoln Enigma: Historians on America's Most Controversial First Lady (2012) is well done. There are a few mistakes - one being in the Lexington chapter - the author indicated that Mary attended Transylvania University - and she did not. But, I have seen that written elsewhere, so the author was just repeating something others have mistakenly stated.

I always thought the idea of hearing different historical voices on one subject was a creative way of approaching a subject. I was honored to be part of the project.

Yes, I do recommend this book! It gives enough information about different aspects of Mary's life and several opinions about her character. In my chapter, I gave an excellent reason why she needed to have owned so many pairs of gloves. It is not an abnormal purchase; it was a purchase many women of a certain social position needed to make.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The True Mary Lincoln by Betty Ellison - Donna McCreary - 09-14-2017 11:52 PM