Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
07-22-2017, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 07:36 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
One of my favorite books over the past few years is John Oller's American Queen (Kate Chase). I'm sure that you have read it also and found only a mention of Brewer painting Portia's portrait, but no mention of the broach.

This is a wild stab, however: In his epilogue, Oller mentions that the mansion Canochet no longer exists, but that a South County Museum is part of the land where it once stood in Narragansett. It's doubtful that Brewer's kin would have given it to this institution (and doubtful that they have a sizable Lincoln collection), but they might have some knowledge of where the broach might be.

Portia was the one Sprague daughter who made peace with her father and even went back to live at Canochet, despite the prison-like existence he had created for the girls and their mother in that mansion.

Please keep us updated on the progress of your book. John Oller made me change my opinion of Kate nearly 100%. I recommend his book and (ever the salesman) have to mention that remaining copies of it are on sale currently at Surratt House Museum for just $10 plus $3 shipping.

While poking around for info on Lincoln's wedding gift to Kate, I found this report about her 1863 wedding:

http://www.nytimes.com/1863/11/15/news/t...dents.html

I'm trying to figure out how nearly 600 guests could fit into even a mansion... My daughter's wedding reception was held in a mansion, and with just 250 guests, it was a tight squeeze - even with the seated dinner being served outside on a large veranda. Those Victorians (with money) really knew how to party!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln - Gencor - 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM
RE: Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln - L Verge - 07-22-2017 07:11 PM