Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
07-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
Recently, during my research for my book, I came across a document stating that the great granddaughter of Nicholas Brewer ("Trails of a Paint Brush") was in possession of a broach given to Nicholas Brewer, while he was staying at Canonchet, in Rhode Island, visiting with the Sprague's. It seems that Brewer had painted a portrait of Portia, Kate Chase's youngest daughter, while she was there visiting and to pay him for the portrait, Portia gave Brewer a broach that she told him was given to her mother, on her wedding day, from Lincoln. It is a rose shaped, hand painted black enamel broach encrusted with diamonds. It seems that the great granddaughter could have placed this piece in a museum but I cannot find out which one. It seems it was a museum with a lot of Lincoln memorabilia and I was wondering if any of you might have heard about it or may have even come across it. If you might know or have any information on this, I would so appreciate your help. It would help me with the research I am doing for my book. I have the name of the granddaughter and it seems that if the piece was passed on or even auctioned, it would have been around 1933 thru maybe 1938.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln - Gencor - 07-22-2017 02:14 PM