Shooting Lincoln: Mathew Brady, Alexander Gardner...
10-01-2017, 08:12 PM
RE: Shooting Lincoln: Mathew Brady, Alexander Gardner...
(10-01-2017 05:05 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-30-2017 07:05 PM)Darrell Wrote:  Was Brady really that instrumental in Stanton's order to have the photo seized?

Darrell, I had never previously read that either. Also, the author says Stanton showed the surviving print to Robert Lincoln (who thought it was in poor taste). I do not remember ever reading before that Robert was consulted about the print. There is no endnote for this - has anyone ever read that Robert was consulted about the photo?

According to Mike Kauffman, after the first plate was destroyed, Gurney - thinking the Lincolns would want the photo - intervened through General Dix to have Stanton ascertain the family's wishes. However, Robert Lincoln concurred with Stanton; therefore, the second plate was also destroyed. (Of course, one proof survived in Stanton's files; resurfacing in 1952 with Ron Rietveld's historic find.)

The above is from page 303 of American Brutus. My copy is in storage, but I found that page on Google Books (link below). I'm not sure whether Kauffman indicated an original source for the Stanton/Robert Lincoln consultation.

https://books.google.com/books?id=UpeODQ...to&f=false
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shooting Lincoln: Mathew Brady, Alexander Gardner... - Darrell - 10-01-2017 08:12 PM