Member's new book out on October 8
02-20-2013, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 11:47 PM by ReignetteC.)
RE: Member's new book out on October 8
Hello, Mr. Di Cola,

I look forward to reading your book when it arrives in two days from Amazon, as the fair is of particular interest regarding my research about President Lincoln's assassination clothing.

But I am a bit stumped and would value your help (and others!) . . . .

I am sure you are familiar with "Six Months at the World's Fair," - published in 1895 - and written by Mrs. Mark Stevens. In the chapter titled, “Illinois Building,” Stevens refers to the "long black coat worn by President Lincoln when he was assassinated." Because her observation about the coat follows a lengthy description about the John Brown relics, I assume that the coat, together with the JB relics, was from the private collection of Chicago businessman Frank G. Logan. (If true, the coat would eventually be donated to the Chicago Historical Society where its authenticity would be challenged in the 1920s.)

As I'd like to learn more about "the coat" that was featured at the fair, and I have yet to find an image of the display, I'd be grateful for any direction.

Thanks,
Reignette
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Member's new book out on October 8 - ReignetteC - 02-20-2013 11:39 PM