Removal of Confederate Monuments
07-16-2017, 04:00 PM
RE: Removal of Confederate Monuments
(05-21-2017 05:18 PM)L Verge Wrote:  This whole thing is totally ridiculous, and I say that not to "save the monuments" (even though I want them preserved where they have stood for so many years), but to consider the harm that this p.c. movement by a few is inflicting on the nation.

I see great strides that have been made in race relations in my area just since the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 60s. To me, this silliness has nothing to do with the important issues of that era. This is a radical movement by many folks who have never experienced the problems of their forefathers, both black and white - and we won't even mention the American Indians.

I see a huge wedge being driven between the races once again that will set us back another fifty years or so. I heard a black minister say years ago that the white man will only stand for all these demands and messing with his heritage just so long. He asked if the black man was ready for the retaliation that was to come. Frankly, I'm afraid of that retaliation, no matter where it starts.

I don't think that either side realizes that this might be driven by outside forces that are determined to bring down our democracy no matter what. I hope I haven't painted a bull's eye on my forehead by saying this, but be careful of what you wish for when you make all your demands (or when you cave in to others' demands).

I agree, Laurie. Down here we all know that Mitch wants to run for State Senate and he is looking for votes. I think that this was the most ridiculous move he could have ever made. We can't erase our history, no matter how some writers try to do that today. With all of the talk about our very core democracy being under attack now, as divided as we have become, I am afraid for our democracy and how little politicians seem to care to save it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Removal of Confederate Monuments - Gene C - 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM
RE: Removal of Confederate Monuments - Gencor - 07-16-2017 04:00 PM