Abraham Lincoln: "Big enough to be inconsistent."
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 04:07 PM by LincolnMan.)
RE: Abraham Lincoln: "Big enough to be inconsistent."
I meant to mention it when I posted this thread that the opinion of Lincoln by Mr. Du Bois is revealing as it came from an important African-American of that day (early 20th Century). It may tell us that African-Americans were struggling even then with what to think about Lincoln. He admitted that Lincoln was not "ideal" in very critical respects-yet accepted him overall. I think the "seeds of discontent" regarding Lincoln were probably always present-and those seeds would grow in the late 1960's and in the 1970's up to the present time. As I've mentioned in another post or two, there has seemed to be more acceptance today of Lincoln in the African-American community following the election of Obama-and his stated admiration of Lincoln. If nothing else, the statement by Du Bois reflects an attitude to "keep Lincoln real" by not making a "saint" out of him.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abraham Lincoln: "Big enough to be inconsistent." - LincolnMan - 09-12-2012 12:10 PM