Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
04-05-2017, 12:32 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(04-05-2017 09:30 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 05:39 AM)loetar44 Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 05:38 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Anna Ward (Annie) had been a teacher at the school in Bryantown when Anna Surratt was a student. She then took a job at the Visitation School near the boardinghouse. I recall one version that had Ward coming to the home on April 10th at the same time Booth was visiting, looking for John. She brought with her a letter that John had sent his mother via her. Mrs. Surratt could not read it because of her poor eyesight and asked Ward to read it. It was then turned over to Anna Surratt.

Just read in a footnote of Alfred Isacsson's article "John Surratt and the Lincoln Assassination Plot" in the December 1957 issue of the Maryland Historical Magazine, something I didn't know in reference to Anna Ward:

"In the preparation of this study, I owe a debt of gratitude to Monsignor Edward P. McAdams of Washington, who kindly shared his knowledge with me on Surratt. He had met John Surratt, was very well acquainted with his sister, Anna, and her husband. Doctor William Tonry. Their son, Reginald Tonry, was a lifelong friend of Msgr. McAdams. ANNIE WARD, WHO ATTENDED MRS. SURRATT ON THE SCAFFOLD, and others who were connected with the assassination of President Lincoln were also among the Monsignor's friends."

Does he cite a source? As far as I know, there's no evidence that Annie Ward attended Mrs. Surratt on the scaffold.

Fr. Isacsson has to be wrong in making that claim. I don't believe that Miss Ward was even with Anna (or on the penitentiary grounds) at the time of the execution. It would be interesting to see if there is any log-in by Ward to visit Mrs. Surratt during her incarceration and trial.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 04-05-2017 12:32 PM