Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-28-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
I think Kees's idea that Anna was referring to Smoot, not Booth, is a sound one. Since Weichmann only surmised that Booth had been the visitor - and only Mary went to the door - I will never trust his word that it was Booth. The thought that Anna would use the general term of "that man" instead of Booth's name makes sense also. It is very likely that Anna knew that Smoot was supposed to return on Friday.

Mrs. Surratt had told Smoot on Wednesday to return on Friday night "when John would be home." There is an excellent chance that it was Smoot that she was referring to when she told Weichmann (on the ride back into the city late on the afternoon of April 14) that she had an appointment to meet a gentleman that night.

We can also surmise that Mrs. Surratt's agitation was in part because her son HAD NOT returned, that she knew that something was going to happen, and that she feared for him.

I would just add that Mr. Smoot must have been a speed walker to cover the eight miles from downtown DC to Alexandria in an hour (he arrived in the city at 9:30, spent maybe five minutes at the boardinghouse, went to the Long Bridge and missed the stage, and still made it to Alexandria by 11 pm).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 03-28-2017 12:24 PM