Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-24-2017, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 09:12 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
Is there a possibility that Surratt was in Washington to go about the original plot? In this diary he says he was called back to Washington by Booth, remarks that he got funds to return to Washington.

Excerpts from The private journal and diary of John H. Surratt, the conspirator
by Surratt, John H. (John Harrison), 1844-1916

April 10, 1865 Lincoln is again in Washington. Now is our time to act, and avenge the losses we have sustained on those who have caused them. Booth has written to me to say that he has changed his mind, and wants my assistance in Washington.
April 11, 1865 – Have received the necessary funds , and shall start tomorrow for Washington, to join Booth in his scheme. The Yankee Flag is to be raised over the battered walls of Fort Sumpter on the anniversary of Anderson’s surrender. If Lincoln should go down there, we shall miss our promised game.
April 15, 1865 Lincoln is gone at last, Booth has carried out is oft-repeated threat, and has, so it is said, really taken the life of the tyrant, it seems too good to be true. But the “assassin” –Saviour- is being pursued. If he takes the road planned out, he will certainly escape. He has indeed gained an Immortal fame.
(From this time forward the diary is very irregularly kept.

Next entry is April 19 Montreal.

November 2, 1865. —Conversed with Mr. A. to-day. He says Paris will ruin me, as I have already been recognized more than once. I think and the rest would like to get rid of me. They know that if I was out of the way, there would be none left to betray them. Although not the actual assassins, they had more to do with it than they would like known, especially, of New York.
June 16, 1866—St. M appears to be a better friend than before, and to have given up the idea of the girl; but yet, I am fully convinced he does not like being twice cheated thus by the same party. His whole talk is now about the late war and death of Lincoln. He seems anxious to know whether President Davis was connected with or not. That is a secret I will tell to no man, while I am safe myself; but if the Confederates desert me, then let them prepare for trouble.

Surratt makes no mention that he failed to return to Washington but makes comments that Booth appeared to veer from the plan and carries off an "oft-repeated threat." At the very least Surratts Claim that he knew nothing of an assassination plot is false.

Is it possible that his entries after the assassination could be deliberately misleading? As if to pretend he had nothing to do with the murder. Why keep the diary at all?

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - brtmchl - 03-24-2017 09:12 PM