Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-15-2017, 11:19 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
I have been researching John Surratt, to see if he is possible guilty, -as seen by the general populous, at that time. I have been surprised by almost everything I read. One of my sources was published by Alfred Isacsson ( who was a member of the Surratt Society - who was a Catholic Priest - and who I corresponded with ( awhile back). The publication is a Dec 1957 issue of the Maryland Historical Magazine.
He was said to have access to Church Records, that we don't even know about.) (Useful? I don't know)
Since I am avoiding my main topic, let me dance around with some stuff that will clue you to the "different" thing he touched on. How often have we read that Surratt had 1 boat hidden in Kings Creek ?
Isaccson says that Surratt bought "3 boats for $125.00, each large enough to hold 15 people and hid them in Kings Creek". He is quoting
a pamphlet written by Smoot in 1908. That made ne sit up straight. I never heard of more than 1 in waiting.
Eventually, Iascsson gets around to the question "Was Surratt in Elmira or Washington? Yes or No? He discusses the testimony of several "witnesses" who saw him in Washington. Then continues to show that None of the witnesses appeared to have ever seen or met John Surratt, before they supposedly saw him in Washington on this occasion.
I don't know if it is true or not, but I conclude that he was telling us that anyone who could make some money with their testimony - would say anything that would bring a return.[i]
Whoever it was that took the Brainard House Register, didn't do a complete job. There were Cash Books available from the clothing stores, showing convicting dates and times.
IMO - It is obvious to me that the U. S. Government would not prosecute them for providing information that supported their plan, whether or not it was a lie. The U. S. Gov. went to extremely evil tactics to extract Surratt from The Vatican, from Italy, from Egypt, etc. for trial.
With all that skullduggery, being made "legal" - how can we make a decision as to where Surratt was? was he in Elmira (Probably !) Washington? ( NAW! )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - SSlater - 03-15-2017 11:19 PM