Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-14-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
How John Surratt fled out of Washington DC according to “John Surratt. The Conspirator. A Correct Account and Highly Interesting Narrative”, published by Barclay & Co. , Philadelphia, p. 24

John Surratt knew that he was a marked man, and concealed himself all day after his mother's arrest in a wretched hovel in the outskirts of Washington, which had been shunned, even by the homeless beggar, since its last occupant had died of small-pox, and when night came, hid his features with a handkerchief bound over his forehead, he presented himself at the residence of a certain priest, who had been one of his college classmates. The clergyman opened the door in person, as he was going out, but shrunk back when he saw the well known figure. " You will not betray me," gasped Surratt. "On my soul, I did not raise my hand against any one." "No matter, whether guilty or innocent, you have sought my hospitality, and I shall not betray you, but you must leave Washington.'' "Such is my intention, and I am well furnished with gold and greenbacks, but a disguise is absolutely necessary." "Go up stairs, lock yourself in the first room you see, and do not open it till you hear my knock; I shall return as speedily as possible." Left to himself, Surratt entered the apartment and gazed on the books, plain furniture, and few pictures ; all breathed peace and repose. Here was a man, who devoted himself to the good of others, while he, besought was insupportable, and to while away the time, a book was selected from the shelves on the wall. The volume chanced to be Hood's Poems, and it opened at the graphic description of Eugene Aram's crime, and his conversation with his pupil. Surratt threw the volume aside, and walked to and fro, till he heard the welcome rap, and his friend entered. " I returned as soon as I could ?" "You have no time to lose ?" "You must escape or your life will be forfeited?" "But how, every one knows me in Washington." "You must assume a clerical dress, and green spectacles. In that wardrobe you will find all that you require." Surratt hastily threw aside the suit, in which he was then clad, and donning the habiliments in the wardrobe, would easily have been taken for a catholic priest. A breviary and green spectacles completed the transformation; the coat was worn. "I thank you a thousand times," said Surratt. '' I have not forgotten the service you rendered me. Farewell, may God prosper you, be silent and quiet; above all avoid the society of priests, they will be sure to detect you, if you have done evil. May God forgive you, if you are innocent he will surely deliver you from all snares." "But," said Surratt, "I have taken your clothes and spectacles ; allow me—" "Not a cent, not a cent," said the priest, hurriedly. A close embrace, and they parted perhaps never to meet again. The door was locked, as soon as it closed on his departing guest; and the priest then taking the clothes left by Surratt, tore them to shreads and cast them singly into a large fire kindled for the purpose. Then filling a pipe with strong tobacco, its fumes soon overpowered the scent of burning wool, and every trace of his visitor thus disappeared. "If I have been wrong," said the good man to himself, "may our blessed Saviour pardon me; perhaps John is not guilty, and it is not for us to judge each other." Surratt, when he found himself again in the street, proceeded at once to the railroad station, and took a ticket for Baltimore, where he was compelled to remain till ten o'clock the following day: he did not leave the depot where he obtained some slight refreshment, till he took his seat in the cars for Philadelphia, where thoroughly exhausted, he repaired at once to an obscure hotel in the northern part of the city, and paying for a room in advance, threw himself on the bed, and was soon wrapped in a deep slumber.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - loetar44 - 03-14-2017 03:12 PM