Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-08-2017, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 05:30 PM by loetar44.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-08-2017 12:02 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Is it feasible to think that many people held John Surratt somewhat responsible for Mary's imprisonment and death sentence, as he seemed to show more concern for his own survival that that of his mother? Knowing that he was involved with Booth, his involvement as a confederate courier, Booth's visits to the boarding house the day of the assassination, cast a large and dark shadow on his mother.

Claims that John was seen in Washington on the day of the assassination ties him closer to Booth and his plot. Convinced of his guilt and involvement in Lincoln's assassination, whether it is true or not that John was in Washington, it maybe the only act of retribution Atzerodt (and others) can do to make things more difficult for John, and to ensure he is punished for the perceived greater sin of deserting his mother in her time of peril.

Good thinking Gene!

Just another thought: the trial of John Surratt should tear open the trauma of the murder of President Lincoln and the execution of John’s mother. I don’t know exactly if public opinion in relation with Mary Surratt was already substantially changing into the thought that an innocent woman was executed. Re-examining all the evidence at a new trial could bring this to light. Therefore the involvement of her son is of great importance. If he was guilty without a reasonable doubt, then Mrs. Surratt was guilty, by protecting her son. Is it in that case possible that John Surratt’s role was made greater by the prosecution, by placing him in DC on April 14 (instead of Almira) showing him as a very active accomplice of Booth to murder Lincoln? As I said: just another thought….

(03-08-2017 04:53 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 04:38 PM)tom82baur Wrote:  The text in Weichmann's book (p. 387) reads "The words of Booth were: 'I saw Surratt a few moments ago.' " 2 (footnote). The footnote states: 2. "If Atzerodt is correct in this statement, then John Surratt was in Washington the night of the assassination, April 14." p. 491.

Thanks for including this, Tom. It makes sense to me that Weichmann would have wanted Surratt to have been in Washington on April 14th.

I second Roger! Thanks Tom.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - loetar44 - 03-08-2017 05:28 PM