Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-08-2017, 04:38 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-08-2017 02:34 PM)loetar44 Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 11:42 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kees, as far as I can tell, Atzerodt does not say he saw Surratt in Washington on April 14 in his July 6, 1865, statement (the one in Weichmann's book). He says that Booth told him that he (Booth) saw Surratt; he does not say he (Atzerodt) saw Surratt. Nevertheless, I find this curious. Why would Booth say this?

It seems to me there are at least four possibilities regarding what Atzerodt wrote that night: (1) Surratt really was in DC; (2) Booth was lying; (3) Atzerodt was lying; (4) Atzerodt misheard what Booth told him.

The way I (wrongly) interpreted the text:

"Booth told ME (= Atzerodt) that Surratt was in the Herndon House on the night of the murder, the 14th of April, we were not all together at the Herndon House. Booth told ME (= Atzerodt) that Surratt was to help at the box, that he expected others in the box. I (= Atzerodt, if it was Booth he should have written / said "He") saw Surratt a few moments ago ."

The text in Weichmann's book (p. 387) reads "The words of Booth were: 'I saw Surratt a few moments ago.' " 2 (footnote). The footnote states: 2. "If Atzerodt is correct in this statement, then John Surratt was in Washington the night of the assassination, April 14." p. 491.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - tom82baur - 03-08-2017 04:38 PM