The Project Keeps On Growing
02-22-2017, 04:30 PM
RE: The Project Keeps On Growing
(02-21-2017 08:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The article on the manumission papers led to another high school classmate walking into my office today with a decaying, undated letter in his hands. It is a rather unusual plea for financial assistance from this CW veteran. It may have been written to a newspaper called the Valley View, and I'm guessing that it was in New York state where the writer was from (I think).

I'll share more details later (and probably carry the letter in the Surratt Courier once we have transcribed it). Right now, I need a little help from my friends here who are good at locating old newspapers. Hopefully, the Valley View was in NY and operating anywhere from ca. 1890 to early-1900s.

If any of you are good at looking up CW military records, I can supply name and company that this man served with. I just don't have the time nor the staff to take on any lengthy searches right now with the Surratt conference fast approaching. Thanks in advance.

The author of the letter was H. Vanderater (?) "late of Co. F 13th NY Vol. Cav." NOTE: Last few letters of name could also be double "r" or an "n." Look for a Dutchman in any case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Project Keeps On Growing - L Verge - 02-20-2017, 08:24 PM
RE: The Project Keeps On Growing - L Verge - 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM
RE: The Project Keeps On Growing - L Verge - 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
RE: The Project Keeps On Growing - L Verge - 02-22-2017 04:30 PM
RE: The Project Keeps On Growing - L Verge - 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM