Abraham Lincoln: A Third Party Candidate?
09-10-2012, 04:26 PM
RE: Abraham Lincoln: A Third Party Candidate?
(09-09-2012 12:48 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  From Bill Moyers:

Abraham Lincoln — who ran as a Republican during the era of Whigs and Democrats — was America’s last third-party candidate to successfully win the presidency.

There is something about this that really bothers me. The Whig Party in America was, for all practical purposes, dead in 1856 (it started the death rattle in 1852), a full four years before Lincoln was elected. Lincoln, for all practical purposes, ceased to be a Whig in 1852. If any party was a third party, it was likely to be Whigs, or the Constitutional Union Party which it became in the north in 1860.

So is Moyers right? Were the Whigs enough of a political force in the 1860s to justify his comment that the Republicans were, in reality, a third party? I don't think so.

Best
Rob
Rob,
The Whigs were essentially "dead" by 1856. This was partly due to their refusal to nominate Millard Fillmore to be their party standard in 1852--instead, nominating Winfield Scott. Fillmore was the last Whig president. Most Whigs ended up joining the Republican party. In 1856 the Republicans had their own presidential candidate in John C. Fremont, so it is fair to say that by 1860, the Republicans could hardly be deemed a third party. If anything in the 1860 election, the Consitutional Union party and its nominee John Bell were the 3rd party. This is at least my take on things.
What do you think about this?
Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abraham Lincoln: A Third Party Candidate? - Joe Di Cola - 09-10-2012 04:26 PM