Was Frederick Stone a Confederate Agent?
02-03-2017, 04:43 AM
RE: Was Frederick Stone a Confederate Agent?
Friends:

The premise that the boat was to be used to transport a kidnapped Lincoln is, in my opinion, flawed. By now I trust everyone is familiar with my strongly-held belief that there was no bona fide kidnapping plan; that it was a gigantic ruse to conceal Booth's and his handlers' real purpose, which was multiple assassinations, and to facilitate Booth's recruitment process. As evidence, amounting almost to proof, I offer the fact that when Smoot went to the boardinghouse on Wednesday morning, the 12th of April, inquiring of Mary as to when he might see her son John, so that he could collect the money due him on the boat, Mary, whose demeanor brightened as soon as she understood the purpose of his visit, asked him if the boat was in place and easily accessible, adding that "it might be called into requisition that night". Does anyone believe that Mary thought that Booth and his team were going to kidnap Lincoln that night?

Further, Smoot returned on Friday night and was informed by Mary, who was in a state of "feverish excitement", that she was positive the boat would be used that night and that he would get his money in a day or two. Does anyone believe that Mary thought Lincoln was going to be kidnapped that night, the 14th?

The answer to both questions is obviously "no" and "no". She knew very well the true purpose of the boat, which was to get three fugitive-assassins across the Potomac after they had reached it by horse.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was Frederick Stone a Confederate Agent? - John Fazio - 02-03-2017 04:43 AM