Was Frederick Stone a Confederate Agent?
02-02-2017, 10:33 PM
RE: Was Frederick Stone a Confederate Agent?

Several of us have suspected deeper ties to the Confederacy, Bill. I don't think there is any doubt that he was a strong Confederate sympathizer. He was definitely of the landed gentry class in Southern Maryland and on the same tree with signers of the Declaration of Independence, etc. One of the clan was also a well-known doctor in southern Prince George's County. Dr. Michael Stone lived in Woodville (now Aquasco) and could have just as well been visited by Booth as Dr. Mudd was.

Have you checked the Hall and Tidwell files to see what research they did on Frederick's Confederate leanings?
[/quote]

Laurie, no, I have not done any research on Frederick Stone. I remembered that he was the "third party" in the purchase of Smoot's boat, but did not remember any connection he had with Thomas Jones. Last night, I had time on a airline flight and re-read Gath's 1884 article for the first time in years. Stone's reported account of his Potomac crossing with Thomas Jones raised all sorts of questions with me. Hence, my question to the forum: Is there something more to Stone's loyalties than has previously surfaced??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was Frederick Stone a Confederate Agent? - wpbinzel - 02-02-2017 10:33 PM