A Beautiful Blunder Autograph
01-14-2017, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2017 11:25 AM by Rob Wick.)
RE: A Beautiful Blunder Autograph
Quote:Geni.com traces Bill Bixby to his father, Wilfred Everett Bixby, Jr., who was the son of Wilfred Everett Bixby, son of Levy Samuel Bixby (1844-) who was born in Boston.
Thanks, Linda! That does put a relative named Bixby in Boston, but I wonder if Levy and Lydia were related?

Quote:Very interesting, Rob. I do not know, but here are some more handwriting samples
Roger, thanks for finding those. I wasn't able to see the first three clearly, but the last two looked much the same as the one I found.

I was originally skeptical that it was really Bixby, because I bought the book off of Alibris, and the seller didn't mention anything about Bixby's signature in the description. Plus, there's no date as to when Bixby supposedly got the book or signed it. It seemed to me that a major selling point for a $45 book is that one is getting a copy signed by a celebrity. At least that has been the case in books that I bought that were signed by James G. Randall, Otto Eisenschiml and Blanche Wiesen Cook. Of course, all three of those were the actual authors, but given Bixby's celebrity, and the oddness of being a descendent of a known historical figure, it seems the seller would have mentioned that. I guess I need to contact the seller to find out what they know.

[Update] I sent the seller a message and am waiting to hear back. The store is Feldman Books and they are located in Menlo Park, California.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Beautiful Blunder Autograph - Rob Wick - 01-13-2017, 09:11 PM
RE: A Beautiful Blunder Autograph - Rob Wick - 01-14-2017 11:12 AM
RE: A Beautiful Blunder Autograph - Gene C - 01-14-2017, 02:09 PM
RE: A Beautiful Blunder Autograph - Steve - 01-18-2017, 11:55 AM