Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-29-2018, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2018 05:04 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
We call that a "praline wedding" (bride with sweet filling). However, Robert's birthday more perfectly matches wedding night.

I would think they were mostly alone. And after the "break-up" allegedly secretly met at the home of Simeon Francis and his wife. Weik later tried to get details from Eliza Rumsey Francis but she refused to share.
Weik's comment: “She acknowledged the receipt of my letters, but in each case declined to deny the story or further enlighten me regarding the subject, on the ground that, as Lincoln and his wife were both dead, she felt a delicacy in disclosing to the world all the details of their courtship".

This btw is what the Edwards son Benjamin recalled: “My mother and my father boh liked Mr. Lincoln. Up to the time of the courtship they had made Lincoln welcome and had encouraged his visits….But my mother and my father at that time didn’t want Mary to marry Mr. Lincoln. There was no objection to the match on the ground of Mr. Lincoln’s character or social standing. But Mr. Lincoln then hadn’t $500 to his name. He was just getting started in the practice of his profession. My mother and my father felt that he could not support Mary as they thought he she ought to be maintained, and for that reason only they opposed the engagement. When my mother saw that things were becoming serious between Lincoln and Mary, she treated him rather coldly…During 1841 and 1842 my mother did what she could to break up the match.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - Eva Elisabeth - 01-29-2018 05:03 AM