Another Lincoln misquote #2
09-18-2016, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2016 06:42 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Another Lincoln misquote #2
(Roger closed the original thread before I could make it to reply to David's post #1, so here it goes. Please notice this thread is to discuss Lincoln misquotations, NOT current political situation and statement issues. Thank you.)

Thanks, David - I absolutely dislike the abuse of quotes, especially to purposely alternating the meaning by shortening or taking of context. And we all know the consequences if done in powerful media - as Lincoln said about journalists (to Mrs. Wells): "That is to say, they 'lie', and then they 're-lie'." (see Carpenter: "Six Months...", p.156)

Even Ford's had (maybe still has) a Lincoln misquotation on display - and even for sale:
http://store.fords.org/a549/vices-and-vi...aster.html

This was said TO him when he remained firm practicing exactly the opposite. I'd guess quite some Ford's visitors, especially such prone to the matter, left this educational institution attributing to Abraham Lincoln's mouth and mindset that vices were a necessity. A DC restaurant abuses the "quote" the same way for merchandising, and I doubt all customers are aware. (If so, this would be fine with me, but I doubt.)

This is the quote in its context:
“Riding at one time in a stage with an old Kentuckian who was returning from Missouri, Lincoln excited the old gentleman’s surprise by refusing to accept either of tobacco or French brandy. When they separated that afternoon – the Kentuckian to take another stage bound for Louisville – he shook hands warmly with Lincoln, and said, good-humoredly: 'See here, stranger, you’re a clever but strange companion. I may never see you again, and I don’t want to offend you, but I want to say this: My experience has taught me that a man who has no vices has d – d few virtues. Good-day.'”
(Alexander K. McClure: "Lincoln’s Own Yarns and Stories", p. 17.)

I think it's not an honorable quote, so no one should be misquoted by these words.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Another Lincoln misquote #2 - Eva Elisabeth - 09-18-2016 01:55 PM
RE: Another Lincoln misquote #2 - RJNorton - 04-05-2017, 01:29 PM