Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln?
09-14-2016, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2016 04:53 PM by ELCore.)
Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln?
The following poem by Emily Dickinson has, I believe, usually been understood has being about a fallen soldier or soldiers (most likely a Federal soldier in the Civil War):

Quote:Step lightly on this narrow spot —
The broadest Land that grows
Is not so ample as the Breast
These Emerald Seams enclose.

Step lofty, for this name be told
As far as Cannon dwell
Or Flag subsist or Fame export
Her deathless Syllable.

In the Johnson edition, it's # 1183; in the Franklin edition, it's # 1227; in the Miller edition, it's the second poem on page 508.

Dickinson sent this poem to her mentor Thomas Wentworth Higginson in November 1871. (Yes, he of the 1st South Carolina Volunteers.)

Cristanne Miller, in her new edition of all of Emily's poems, notes as follows:

Quote:In January 1871 a statue of Abraham Lincoln by Vinnie Ream was unveiled in Washington, D.C. In September 1871, Liincoln's remains were moved to a monument in Springfield, Illinois, and another statue (by Randolph Rogers) was dedicated in Philadelphia. ED knew that TWH would be aware of these events....

The implication is clear, I believe, that Miller thinks the poem is actually about Abraham Lincoln. Considering the superlative praise, I think that makes sense.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Emily Dickson Poem on Lincoln? - ELCore - 09-14-2016 04:53 PM