Did Mary Lincoln Suffer from Pernicious Anemia?
07-11-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: Did Mary Lincoln Suffer from Pernicious Anemia?
(07-11-2016 12:10 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I would also suspect that Mary would want to be placed in the middle of that photo, not tucked behind the flora and fauna.

My memory is very foggy, and I do not recall where I saw this, but I will post a vague memory. I think, for some reason, John Nicolay originally owned this photo, been in charge, and he may have actually positioned the people as they are seen in the image (placing himself in the center). If this vague memory is correct, he may have put Mary (if it be her) off to the side and not named her at the time. I think it is historical fact that John Nicolay was not a fan of Mary Lincoln ("The Hellcat").

I don't recall where I saw this description of what happened during the photo session, and I probably should not post such speculation.

I only post in the hopes this will possibly bring out a memory or information others may have read that either support or reject what I just posted.

One question I have: was Lloyd Ostendorf the very first person to publish this image and identify the "mystery woman" as Mary Lincoln? Or had this been done previously?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln Suffer from Pernicious Anemia? - RJNorton - 07-11-2016 01:57 PM