When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record?
05-24-2016, 03:40 PM
RE: When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record?
Update: The Surratt House Museum website has the complete published transcription (1865) of Ben Perley Poore. According to Steers, Perley Poore published the transcripts taken from the daily Washington National Intelligencer . On May 11 that transcription notes specifically that Reverdy Johnson was not present but solicited to appear on behalf of Mary Surratt. Johnson is not mentioned at all on May 12 and the cross-examinations are done by Aiken and Clampitt.

On Saturday, May 13 the Judge Advocate opens the day's proceedings by asking if Mr. Johnson is "appearing for any of these prisoners." (bottom pf page 51). Johnson then makes his initial statement to the court. From that statement one can deduce that Johnson had not previously addressed the court.

"MR. JOHNSON. I do not know whether I shall be able to appear or not. I have taken no part in the case thus far, except to speak to the counsel. Whether I shall appear or not will depend on whether I can find that I can stay as long as may be necessary. I have no objection to appearing if the Court will permit me to leave it at any time."

To me this initial statement by Reverdy Johnson is clear and definitive. Johnson first appeared when court opened on Saturday morning May 13.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record? - Dennis Urban - 05-24-2016 03:40 PM