When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record?
05-23-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record?
In the book, The Trial, edited by Ed Steers, Jr., which copies the 421 page Pitman version of the trial transcript, see the chapter "Proceedings of a Military Commission", page 22. This page references the transcript from May 12 and quotes a letter (in quotation marks) over the signature of Reverdy Johnson relative to the taking of the oath. Immediately after that is a statement by Mr. Johnson. After the statement the objection to his representing Mary Surratt was withdrawn. While it is not specifically clear that Johnson made this statement verbally in the courtroom on May 12 this transcript reads like he was present to make the statement.

This is by no means definitive that he was present in the courtroom on May 12th but I'd rather think that he was. The fact that he did not question witnesses on May 12 does not mean he was not present. He may have let Aiken and Clampitt take that lead, knowing he was not not planning to be present much of the time. I sure wish I know what was in his mind for not being the lead attorney. Hope this helps.

This mystery is like my recent post of trying to determine if Aiken and Clampitt actually observed the hanging of their client. Some things may never be known for sure.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record? - Dennis Urban - 05-23-2016 02:57 PM