Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
03-11-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
Just who was Thomas Harney? Was he born in Ireland - as the Harney in New Orleans was? Or was he born in Pennsylvania -as he stated? If he was born in Ireland - how did he hide his accent, when he "tawlked" to the Provost Marshal? (was the P.M. stupid?) Bill Tidwell tells us in "C.R." that "Harney came to the Confederacy - well educated and had a logical mind.
Harney must have been in Blair, PA at some time or another early in his career. Blair was a thriving Community, long before it became a Township, or a County. I did find a Thomas Harney , laborer, in Harrisburg, PA in 1850, not far away. He may have moved on to Blair where there was lots of work. They were building a Canal and a Railroad. (Even educated guys have to eat.)
Since Harney became a Spy, of sorts, he always gave "reliable" info, when pinned down, info that could stand up to checking - yeah, there is a "Blair". He Talked like a School Teacher. There is a Cass Co, in Missouri. Every thing described was far away from when he actually lived or worked.
I have more stuff on Harney, that I will get to. I hope someone is picking up on this info and questioning it. I need help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 03-11-2016 02:13 PM