John Wilkes Booth and John Parker on the Crossroads of History
03-08-2016, 03:30 PM
RE: John Wilkes Booth and John Parker on the Crossroads of History
(03-08-2016 06:06 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 10:24 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Do we know what Parker really looked like? I don't recall ever seeing an image of him.

I second you, Dennis. I have never seen a picture, and offhand do not recall ever even seeing a physical description.

The descriptions I have seen don't involve what he looked like but rather relate to his job performance. In Decapitating the Union, John Fazio writes, "He (Parker) was charged, at various times, with insubordination, conduct unbecoming an officer, loafing on the beat, intoxication while on duty, insulting a lady, use of profanity, and arresting prostitutes after they had refused to grant him their favors gratis." John also lists other charges Parker faced including "firing a pistol in a brothel, otherwise than in the line of duty."

Interesting how several of the charges involve ladies of the night and brothels. Firing the pistol in a brothel should not be a chargeable offense; have to get their attention somehow.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Wilkes Booth and John Parker on the Crossroads of History - Dennis Urban - 03-08-2016 03:30 PM