Preaching water and drinking wine
02-28-2016, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2016 07:53 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Preaching water and drinking wine
I'm not sure that the Emancipation Proclamation had any effect on Julia's (or were they really still her father's) slaves. Were they still living in Missouri - a border state where the Proclamation had no real substance?

It's interesting that both Mary Lincoln and Julia Grant were raised in what would later become border states. Even Julia's roots were in Maryland, another border state.

(02-27-2016 10:28 PM)maharba Wrote:  Interesting LVerge, but I'm not sure of what you are saying fully. I have read to the effect that Hiram "Ulysses" Grant owned slaves even through after the Civil War, some going on to say that it took an Act of Congress to compel Grant to release them. Haven't checked though for the accuracy of those claims. So, then are you saying that Grant did NOT own
slave(s) on after the War ended?

You seem to read only what you want to read, Mr. Maharba. I posted the manumission papers for Grant's one slave, William Jones, whom he freed (in his own handwriting) in 1859. That is the only case ever made about Grant owning any slave, I believe. See what I had posted previously...

"Prior to the Civil War Grant lived with his wife Julia and their four children in St. Louis, Missouri, at his father-in-law’s White Haven estate from 1854 until 1859. At some point during this experience Grant obtained a slave named William Jones. The sole document we have confirming Grant’s ownership of Jones is a manumission paper freeing Jones on March 29, 1859, written in Grant’s own hand:

"William Jones Manumission" Followed by the text of the manumission.

Again, please cite the source(s) of your claims.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Preaching water and drinking wine - L Verge - 02-28-2016 07:46 PM