A case of misinterpretation?
02-14-2016, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2016 06:09 PM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: A case of misinterpretation?
The problem lies not with the original trial testimony, but with the reenactors--it appears that in an attempt to make the testimony more concise and to move the proceedings along more quickly, they left out a great deal of the testimony and in combining what was left created a confusion that wasn't there in the original. This is what the exchange looks like in Poore:

Q. Will you state whether, on the following Friday, that is, the day of the assassination, you drove Mrs. Surratt to the country?
A. Yes, sir. We left about half-past two o’clock in the after-noon. She herself gave me the money on that occasion,—a ten-dollar note; and I paid six dollars for the buggy.
Q. Where did you drive her to?
A. To Surrattsville; arriving there about half-past four.
Q. Did you stop at the house of Mr. Lloyd, who keeps tavern there?
A. Yes, sir. Mrs. Surratt went into the parlor, and I remained outside a portion of the time; and a portion of the time I went into the bar-room, until Mrs. Surratt sent for me.
Q. What time did you leave on your return?
A. About half-past six o’clock.
Q. Is it about two hours’ drive?
A. Yes, sir: a person can get down there very easily in two hours when the roads are good.

Q. Will you state whether, on the afternoon of the 14th of April, the day of the assassination, Mr. Booth did not call and have a private interview with Mrs. Surratt at her house?
A. I will state, that about half-past two o’clock, when I was going to the door, I saw Mr. Booth. He was in the parlor, and Mrs. Surratt was speaking to him.
Q. Were they alone?
A. Yes, sir: they were alone in the parlor.
Q. How long was it after that before you drove to the country with Mrs. Surratt?
A. He did not remain in the parlor more than three or four minutes.
Q. And was it immediately after that you and Mrs. Surratt set out for the country?
A. Yes, sir.

You can find the Poore transcripts of the trial testimony here.

http://www.surrattmuseum.org/ben-perley-...y-trial-tr
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A case of misinterpretation? - loetar44 - 02-14-2016, 05:47 PM
RE: A case of misinterpretation? - Susan Higginbotham - 02-14-2016 06:06 PM
RE: A case of misinterpretation? - L Verge - 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM