Sarah Slater's Second Husband
08-13-2016, 12:25 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband
There is no doubt in my mind that Sarah married Jacob M. Long, however, there is no record that they ever cohabitated. Their names were never show together, except on the Marriage Certificate. Nothing in the Census, the Voter records, the city directories, his Obit, nothing ever mentioned Sarah. They apparently remained friends-, at least they were in contact.
Sarah's family - her brothers, mother, sisters, all lived in NYC at one time or another. Apparently Sarah became a "Tailoress", as did sister Emily (She ran a boarding house, too). From newspaper tidbits, Sarah and her sister Josephine traveled together to visit friends, and eventually moved to Poughkeepsie together. ("J.E." was identified as the Husband (OOPS!))
That strange marriage, evidently had a purpose, but I don't see it. If anything, it had to be her haven, until the last of the Amnesty Proclamations were issued and she was no longer subject to prosecution. She kept the name, until she remarried, Sometimes using "Slater" for reasons I don't know. Maybe "Long" had a reputation as a "meanie". (That was true of most "Aldermen" in NY.)
Some day I will give up on this research, but not yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-02-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - SSlater - 08-13-2016 12:25 AM