Booth's Farewell Speech (?)
11-30-2015, 10:00 PM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?)
I may be wrong, but I think this "Mrs. Temple" story may also be responsible for Lucy's being incorrectly known as "Bessie" Hale in a lot of articles and books. I don't think she ever actually went by that name. I didn't find references to her being called anything but Lucy in the Hale family letters I read through at the New Hampshire Historical Society. And her sister's name was Elizabeth (known as "Lizzie). It would be strange to have a "Bessie" and a "Lizzie" in the same family.

I've also read (unfortunately, I can't remember where) that Booth's acting buddy, John McCullough, also disputed much of Mrs. Temple's story. For example, he said Booth didn't attend hotel "hops" because he didn't like the crush of the crowds.

Posted by Eva Elisabeth - Today 06:12 PM
Wasn't John Hay another alleged "rival"?

While John Hay appears to have appreciated Lucy's "indefinable fascination" (this is a quote from a letter he wrote her after she and her family left Spain in 1870) I don't think he was ever a rival for her affections. According to the bios I've read, Hay was involved with a former actress (about 10 years older than he was) during much of his time in Washington. He was also a great friend of Kate Chase.

Posted by Wild Bill - Today 07:07 AM
Sally, no apology necessary, no hard feelings on my part. I just found it interesting and it fit my story line. And I still believe my version of it, for what it is worth

Okay, good! Blush I do think Booth uttering that line makes for a good dramatic scene!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - Sally - 11-29-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - Houmes - 11-30-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - RJNorton - 11-29-2015, 06:56 PM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - L Verge - 11-29-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - RJNorton - 11-30-2015, 06:18 AM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - BettyO - 11-30-2015, 07:37 AM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - Sally - 11-30-2015 10:00 PM
RE: Booth's Farewell Speech (?) - RJNorton - 12-01-2015, 05:53 AM