Lincoln and the Logan County Court Houses
10-11-2015, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 05:21 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln and the Logan County Court Houses
I second Roger, Scott - thank you for such a terrific post!

I have read that Lincoln was not the very only one who did not go home, just this was the minority. Reasons for doing so were saving money and living too far away. I think the latter applied to Lincoln in any case. And in the times of the railway he did go home more often. Please see my post #7 here, and also Toia's fantastic post #5:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...t#pid34271
Despite I believe he needed the time to study and to prepare.

I agree with Scott, I don't think the reason was flight from marriage. I would tend to think whatever the reason was it must have been reasonable enough for Mary not to complain explicitly about that other circuit riders spent the weekends at home while her husband did not. It seems she understood.

(10-11-2015 02:05 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Postville Courthouse
The Postville Courthouse was built in 1840, about a year after it was decided that the community of Postville would be the seat of the newly formed Logan County. It was a frame building built in a very simple, Federal style and looked like a regular house. In addition to the courtroom, the building housed the offices of the county clerk, the recorder of deeds, the Sherriff, the coroner, and the county surveyor. When not in use by the circuit court, the courtroom was used by the justice of the peace and as a meeting room for the county board of commissioners. This building served as the courthouse for 8 years (1840-1848). In 1848, the residents of Mt. Pulaski, IL offered to build a new structure to serve as county courthouse. The residents collected $2700 of the $3000 necessary to build it. The county leaders accepted the offer, partly due to a fear of courthouse fire and thereby the destruction of the county’s legal records. A fear that proved to be well founded as many of the county’s legal records were in fact destroyed in a fire in 1857 as stated above. After the county seat moved to Mt. Pulaski, the building became a private home. The town of Postville was annexed by the town of Lincoln, IL in 1860, and the building became sort of forgotten. It was bought by Henry Ford for about $8000 in 1929, when he became interested in buying up historical properties. Yes, the same Henry Ford who said in a 1916 interview with the Chicago Tribune, “I don’t know much about history, and I wouldn’t give a nickel for all the history in the world. It means nothing to me.” Guess he changed his tune – probably because he thought he could make some money. Anyway, Ford’s crew dismantled the building and its foundation. The pieces were moved and then reassembled at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI. I have not been there, but apparently the building is still there.
Isn't it this one? I admit all the different names confuse me.
http://abesblogcabin.org/the-logan-count...e-michigan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and the Logan County Court Houses - Eva Elisabeth - 10-11-2015 05:14 PM