Lincoln's First Inaugural Address
08-25-2015, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2015 04:35 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Lincoln's First Inaugural Address
I believe you have misinterpreted (or reversed points) regarding my original post. My purpose was to indicate why many Marylanders became disenchanted with Mr. Lincoln when he went against his own statements in his First Inaugural and further policies regarding not interfering with slavery and compensating slaveholders and not bearing arms against the South (then came the draft). We can go into habeas corpus, martial law, imprisonment, removal from elected office, stuffing the ballot boxes with non-Maryland soldiers' votes, etc.

I wish that many of you would understand that I am not anti-Lincoln and that I am fascinated with the man. Neither am I (and others on this forum) trying to refight the Civil War. Our interest is in analyzing all facets from all sides. In my mind, that is what education (and this forum) is all about.

P.S. There are a number of very qualified scholars who would debate you on whether or not Lincoln initiated the war. Also, I believe the Corwin Amendment never went to the states for a vote because of the arrival of a new regime and the war. I'll check on that, however.

Just checked, and the Amendment did go out for ratification. Three states ratified it -- Ohio (1861), Maryland (1862), and Illinois (1862). It was ultimately pulled in 1864, when Union victory was at hand. However, if I understand it correctly today, it could still be reconsidered and sent back out for ratification 150+ years later -- not that that would happen. Theoretically, however, if such would happen, would its ratification take precedence over the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments? As the King of Siam might say, "Tis a puzzlement."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's First Inaugural Address - L Verge - 08-25-2015 04:24 PM