Mudd Descendants visit Fort Jefferson NP
07-30-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Mudd Descendants visit Fort Jefferson NP
(07-30-2015 12:06 PM)L Verge Wrote:  As long as you admit, John, that this is YOUR "rough scenario."

My thoughts are that only Herold spent the night outside of D.C. and that he likely arose about 5 am. A quick ride into the city from T.B. would still take at least two hours, getting him back when the bridge opened at 7 am (if that schedule still existed). My scenario has Booth spending the night in D.C., and I would like to romanticize and think it was spent with Ella. I also do not subscribe to Julia Grant's theory that she was being watched by the gang at lunch. I don't think they were the least bit interested in the distaff side of the Grants.

Again, this is just my theory and I cannot engrave it in stone. IMO, too much speculation has been inserted into the documented history of the assassination over the past 150 years. And, when you take every little incident and try to make it fit into the overall picture, you create a situation where the average person gets totally confused.

Laurie:

As to where Booth spent the night, it has often been written that no one knows. It is known only that he did NOT spend it in his hotel room in the National. If he spent it in Washington, what was he doing at the Maryland side of the Navy Yard Bridge in the morning with Herold? Demond said that he recognized Booth as the actor and that when he said to Booth that he recognized him, he acknowledged that he was Booth and that his companion was Herold. He went on to say that Augur's aide had conversation with Booth, that Dana's orderly came and said they were "alright" and that the entire Maryland-side detail expressed surprise when they saw them again crossing from Washington that night inasmuch as they had seen them earlier that day. Sounds pretty solid to me. If Booth spent the night in Washington, he would have had to rise early and then cross the bridge to Maryland for a rendezvous with Herold. Seems unlikely.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mudd Descendants visit Fort Jefferson NP - John Fazio - 07-30-2015 01:06 PM