Mudds aim to clear name of doc who treated Lincoln killer
10-31-2015, 09:41 AM
RE: Mudds aim to clear name of doc who treated Lincoln killer
I agree that history is not changed, but those familiar with the area know that the original St. Peter's Church (the cemetery still exists) was MUCH closer to the Mudds than St. Mary's Bryantown. Even with the good roads today, St. Mary's is at least a mile on the other side of Bryantown - even farther from the Mudd home (which really isn't that close to Bryantown - it is closer to the now-extinct village of Beantown, vestiges of which still existed when I was a child).

On Sundays, the only other business would have likely been seeing patients after church, but Dr. George Mudd attended most of the folks in the Bryantown area, I believe (despite the fact that he was a Union man, he was also well-respected as a doctor). No shopping on Sundays back then (even when I was growing up) and no diners to sit down and have coffee and eggs in after church.

Oh, how I wish that Msgr. Robert Keesler were still alive to explain the parish concept and church assignments to you as he did for Mr. Hall and me. He would be well past 100 if he were still alive and was very well-versed in Confederate history as well as the Lincoln assassination (and even Billy the Kid!).

Samuel A. Mudd was summoned to be at St. Mary's that Sunday by John C. Thompson, Dr. William Queen's son-in-law for one important reason.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mudds aim to clear name of doc who treated Lincoln killer - L Verge - 10-31-2015 09:41 AM