The "ten mothers" of Abraham Lincoln
07-10-2015, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 09:31 AM by loetar44.)
RE: The "ten mothers" of Abraham Lincoln
(07-10-2015 04:57 AM)Vicky Reany Paulson Wrote:  We are very close to the monumental, with Nancy Hanks Lincoln. Family Tree DNA has eliminated all the "theory" and only Joseph Hanks direct descendants are hitting perfect matches. We now are going to do the descendants, female line of Lucy Hanks Sparrow. They all believe she was a Shipley, however, so we hope to test at least two. Then it will be complete.

In all my research, I found that Thomas and Joshua Hanks did not remain in Hampshire County, but were in Hardy County. What census records I found, it appears that Lucy may have lived with Joshua Hanks, there. Charles, Elizabeth, and Joseph Hanks Jr. were all taken to Hardy County, when Joseph Hanks Senior died. Anne Lee Hanks went to Rockingham County, right below Hardy, to stay with her Lee relatives. Hardy County records are sparse. Combing church records, at present, for a record there. I have several good ones for Joshua Hanks, from Hardy County. Will keep you posted. I think the day has come, when we can put those orphan stories to rest. Thank you, Vicky Paulson

I think you know of the research of Colleen Fitzpatrick, PhD, Zach Spigelman, MD, Ann Stone, Adrian Briggs, PhD
Please note:

http://www.promega.com/~/media/files/res...atrick.pdf

----------------
They wrote:

Two possible candidates for Nancy Hanks’ mother are Sarah Harper, wife of Abraham Hanks of Virginia, and Lucy Hanks, who lived in Mercer Co. KY at the same time the President’s mother lived there and who later married Henry Sparrow. Since Nancy Hanks’ line is extinct, mtDNA samples were collected from the descendants of one other daughter of Sarah Harper Hanks and two other daughters of Lucy Hanks Sparrow. These samples were compared to the mtDNA obtained from two Lincoln assassination relics.

The mtDNA signatures of the maternally-linked Harper-Hanks and Hanks-Sparrow descendants were found to be identical, indicating a maternal link between the candidates, and making it impossible to distinguish the two Nancy Hanks’ through mtDNA. Furthermore, the mtDNA profile did not match the mtDNA obtained from either of the two relics. This can likely be attributed to the high level of contamination that the relics have experienced over the last 150 years.

The genealogy of the Hanks family is very incomplete, but not incompatible with the existence of a large maternally linked group within the historical community to which the President’s mother belonged. The rarity of the X1c mtDNA haplogroup observed for the group will help identify additional maternally-linked family members whose genealogies may help build a more comprehensive family history and indicate where the President’s mother fits into the structure.
-------------

I wonder, and I think you can adequately answer my question, do Sarah Harper and Lucy Hanks Sparrow (since the mtDNA signatures of their female descendants, daughter to daughter to daughter etc, are identical) have a common female ancestor?

Thank you so much for keeping me / us posted about your research. I’ve great respect for all your findings, and as I earlier said / ment: scientific DNA research does not lie! It’s the only key in which we can fully trust.

Am I right that the Joseph Hanks Y-DNA- line has the R-M517 SNP signature?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "ten mothers" of Abraham Lincoln - loetar44 - 07-10-2015 09:26 AM