Learned a new word today
06-26-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2015 01:38 PM by Juan Marrero.)
RE: Learned a new word today
(06-26-2015 12:58 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(06-26-2015 12:51 PM)Juan Marrero Wrote:  GWTW will not be burned, except perhaps by a book purchaser who is a pyromaniac. but Margaret Mitchell will not be on the $10 bill.

I know you are posting with tongue in cheek, Juan; but who would have thought that Huckleberry Finn would be banned from school libraries, etc.?
Yes, I was being tongue-in-cheek and banning HF is cultural vandalism.

But I think there are times when "little things" get in the way of a great story. On Pentecost Sunday, I hate it when we are told that the Apostles hid away "for fear of the Jews." More so, in Matthew when the "Jews" agree to have Christ's blood on then and their children. It would save a lot of trouble if "people" were inserted for "Jews" even at this late date and that was what the First Century writer would have meant any way because most people out there were Jews. It would be like saying that I am afraid of the North Carolinians instead of the folks with criminal records.

Back to GWTW, if I were MM's wealthy heirs (but never the government directly or indirectly), I would have no problem with releasing an edition of the book that, for example, did not refer to Mammy's "gorilla" like arms. That little gem is not intrinsic in any way to a terrific story and actually diminishes it. It's important to get ahead of the curve on things like that. A little light editing would make the medicine go down and show good will. By the way, any changes to any text should be admitted and explained. People would always have the opportunity to buy the original version if they chose.

GWTW is safe in the same way that "Merchant of Venice" is. GWTW is part of the canon of important Western literature. It will survive political correctness. But that doesn't mean it's a holy book. In fact there are things in the Holy Book, supra, that God should have worded differently! Again, tongue in cheek.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Learned a new word today - L Verge - 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Learned a new word today - Wild Bill - 06-26-2015, 10:15 AM
RE: Learned a new word today - L Verge - 06-26-2015, 11:53 AM
RE: Learned a new word today - BettyO - 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM
RE: Learned a new word today - L Verge - 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM
RE: Learned a new word today - Juan Marrero - 06-26-2015 01:31 PM
RE: Learned a new word today - L Verge - 06-26-2015, 01:50 PM
RE: Learned a new word today - MaddieM - 06-30-2015, 03:22 AM