1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
12-25-2015, 01:07 PM
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
Maharba, can you post the URL of the page you are looking at? >

Also, if Abraham Lincoln were not included in the 1840 federal census...is there importance to this? IMO it is not that unusual if the census misses some people.>

I wish I had a link/URL to furnish but I looked at the 35mm film version. But I would guess that the Mormon LDS site and others have that 1840 Sangamon census online. As I say, the numbering of the pages is almost useless, and the names hard to really read. As others look at this listing I cited (for Abraham Lincon/Lemon/Lewis/?), you actually have to use your imagination to be sure that the 'Abraham' part is even that. And yes I think it is very worthwhile that our future highest Federal official would be located by name, in what should be his first census. I think that it might be remiss for a modern 'Lincoln scholar' to never bother to look at the very most basic original records, especially when it is so much easier than the past 200 years, to do. No long train rides to DC to pore over old original Census records. We've already learned one surprise: that in 1840 Lincoln was not enumerated with Josh Speed. And remember that there are many 'genealogists' yet who claim (future president) Abraham Lincoln is the Abram Lincoln in Hancock county 1840. So, we can say "they haven't caught up to actual history yet". Because that Abram Lincoln is the first cousin of (president) Abraham Lincoln, that is the son of Mordecai Lincoln (brother of pres Lincolns father Thomas). It is slightly possible we yet might find Abraham Lincoln had traveled briefly out to the Omaha region or even further west, in the 1840 census. My listing cited may be erroneous, yet. This is actual history, and it is almost comical it has apparently not been worked out, before this time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell - maharba - 12-25-2015 01:07 PM