Most important person in Lincoln's life
05-19-2015, 06:17 PM
RE: Most importat person in Lincoln's life
(05-19-2015 02:49 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 02:42 PM)Angela Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 02:34 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  As for the assertion that Lincoln was color-blind when it came to Blacks, I like and admire the man but that is simply not true. The fact that he was gracious (and brave enough) to welcome Frederick Douglass to the WH does not erase the fact that he also told a delegation of Black men who visited him there that it would be better if they were colonized to Liberia or the Caribbean because of the impossibility of Whites and Blacks living together in peace, and that they(Blacks) were basically the cause of the war in the first place. It was, in my opinion, the low point of his presidency.

I never said that he was "color blind".
What I was referring to and what Frederick Douglass himself pointed out
"He treated me as a man; he did not let me feel for a moment that there was any difference in the color of our skins!"

And, just for the record, the fact that Lincoln went from his position on the idea of colonization to what he finally came up with (last speech as well as his last State of the Union) is in my opinion the HIGH point of his presidency as well as his character of being able to see a mistake and correct it.
That has gone incredibly out of style.

I agree with you on that point Angela, 100%!Wink
I, too - and here I think the initial influence was 19th century environment and thinking, then his consideration of what the voters and soldiers thought and would put up with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most importat person in Lincoln's life - Eva Elisabeth - 05-19-2015 06:17 PM